Frequent Questions

Who has the authority to ban or limit exposure to secondhand smoke?

A number of state and local governments have passed legislation or instituted regulations to ban smoking in work places and public places such as restaurants, bars, and parks. This may include state prisons, local jails, and other detention facilities in some areas. Your local jurisdiction may be the most responsive resource for inquiries. Your state or local health department may be able to provide you with information on smoking prohibition policies and activities in your area. However, there may be other organizations that monitor legislative changes on secondhand smoke policies more regularly (see )  Contact information for specific state indoor air quality or environmental offices can be located at just click on your state.

Read more about the Smoke-free Homes and Cars Program at

Have more questions? Submit a request