Frequent Questions

Must smoking be prohibited if the facility is being used for a community or privately sponsored event, such as Bingo?

Generally, no; however, it depends on the circumstances.  If the indoor facility is being used simultaneously for routine or regular children's services (i.e., school-sponsored events that involve children) and a privately sponsored event, smoking must be prohibited in the entire indoor facility.  The provider of children's services may determine whether or not it wishes to prohibit smoking in the facility when no routine or regular children's services are being provided.

Read more about EPA's Smoke-free Homes and Cars Program at

Have more questions? Submit a request