Frequent Questions

What if I live in an apartment?

 Apartments can have the same indoor air problems as single-family homes because many of the pollution sources, such as the interior building materials, furnishings, and household products, are similar. Indoor air problems similar to those in offices are caused by such sources as contaminated ventilation systems, improperly placed outdoor air intakes, or maintenance activities.

Solutions to air quality problems in apartments, as in homes and offices, involve such actions as: eliminating or controlling the sources of pollution, increasing ventilation, and installing air cleaning devices. Often a resident can take the appropriate action to improve the indoor air quality by removing a source, altering an activity, unblocking an air supply vent, or opening a window to temporarily increase the ventilation; in other cases, however, only the building owner or manager is in a position to remedy the problem.

Additional References

EPA's Radon site -

A Radon Guide for Tenants

This guide, created by the Environmental Law Institute (ELI) with EPA's review, is for people who rent their apartments or houses. The guide explains what radon is, and how to find out if there is a radon problem in your home. The guide also talks about what you can do if there are high radon levels in your home. Call the National Radon Information Hotline at 1-800-SOS-RADON or your State Radon Contact to get a copy of this guide.

EPA's Mold site -

"A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home"

Mold Resources page -

Chapter on "Moisture and Mold Prevention and Control Tips"

National Apartment Association
201 N. Union Street, Suite 200
Alexandria, VA 22314
703/ 518-6141
fax: 703/ 518-6191

Links to Apartment and Landlord Associations on

Have more questions? Submit a request